With an overactive bladder, you may:
- Feel a sudden urge to urinate that’s difficult to control
- Experience urge incontinence — the involuntary loss of urine immediately following an urgent need to urinate
- Urinate frequently, usually eight or more times in 24 hours
- Awaken two or more times in the night to urinate (nocturia)
Beyond a number of tests we may run, the most important aspect of diagnosing overactive bladder is simply a conversation with you. Below are some of the questions we may ask you in order to gain some insight into your condition.
- How often do you urinate?
- How often do you leak urine, and how severely?
- Do you feel any pain or discomfort while urinating?
- For how long has the urge or urinary incontinence been occurring?
- Can you sleep through the night without waking to urinate?
- What medications are you taking?
- Have you had any recent surgery or illnesses?